Monday, February 11, 2008

Thing #7 Communication

Since I am a one-woman show at our library, I have yet to set up a online reference desk. I am very interested in IM and how that could work as a reference desk. Our students have their own student email account but I find that most of them use their own personal email. We tell them constantly to check their student email as that is our preferred mode of communication. Some do, some don't. I just had two students today (as we are into a month of the semester) tell me they didn't know they had an account. I see most of them on facebook, myspace etc. I truly think having a library blog will be the way of communicating with them. Email is going out. I need to get on board with IM as I see them using that more and more. I have yet to test message anyone because I rarely use my cell phone and we don't allow them on in the library as we do so much testing for distance classes.
I did not attend any webinars through Minitex or OPAL but have attended quite a few through MNPALS and enjoy that route rather than driving 200 miles in January. The information I need from the webinars is easily understood and a great way to disseminate the info.

No comments: