Monday, March 3, 2008

Thing #15 Online Gaming

I chose to sign up for Second Life since I already have an account there. Two of our Faculty just attended a conference on Second Life and our college is part of the MNSCU island. I will eventually be putting my library out there with the rest of our college. I went to Info Island where a lot of libraries are and was not to impressed with what was there. I would have all my database links there, maybe a reference desk. I could show new materials. I don't know how many students would utilize it if they weren't already signed on. Our college is thinking of a way to create like 50 different avatar accounts for students to use throughout the semester. I will be working closely with our two faculty who got the ball rolling on this. We had 100 plus high school students visiting our college last friday and the three of us got on Second Life and showed them around. It was pretty cool. I am a real novice at it compared to my collegues but learn more everytime I visit. I would like to put some kind of library orientation out on our island also. Just have to figure out all the logistics, hope to get something going this summer.

No comments: